Tuesday, September 9, 2008

So, who asked YOU, anyway?

You know what I hate? I mean, really, really hate? I hate it when I'm at the gym, minding my own business, doing some crazy hard set of something nearly impossible, like Tony's plyometric kick back push ups or whatever the heck they're called, and some DOOFUS decides they can give me advice on how to get better results.

To make matters worse, the doofus in question today, as I was in the middle of my second of four sets of said crazy kickbacks, was at least 50 years old and as wide as he was tall (which was not very tall). He lingered around me, making idle chatter, before finally asking, "Where do you live?"

"Glenside," I puffed.

"Well, could I make a suggestion?" (My husband tells me this is where I should have rudely said "NO, you may not.")

"Sure," I huffed.

"You'd get more out of your workout if you just walked here every day." With that, I stopped, unsure of whether I was more disgusted by his arrogance or his ignorance. I lifted myself up to my full 5'5", taller than him, I might add, and responded:

"I'm running a 1/2 marathon in November. I ran a marathon in 2005. Clearly I need to do more than that and weight training is doing the trick. Thanks."

I know - I was too nice. But my question to you guys is this:

At what point will I be one of the people in the gym that Sta-Puff Marshmallow Men like this obnoxiously ask for free advice from instead of giving obnoxious unsolicited advice???

3 comments:

GClef1970 said...

HA! This is across the board, not just fitness-related. I always have people telling me how to "help" Conor. I agree with hubby: "NO."

Angela said...

I get that from time to time...pisses me off :) but of course, im nice about it....

I just saw that you are from PA...Im from Philly, :)

Glad to meet another Tony diva :)

Tearose said...

Lol! what a noob! What I did to prevent this was have my headphones in and a bit of a scowl on my face, instantly stopped any unwanted advice lol. Although one guy did come up to me and sart talking, so I had to remove the headphones, he just wanted to tell me what a great job I was doin :)