Thursday, April 30, 2009

Redefining GUTS.

I'm so proud of myself today and you know why? Because I didn't work out this morning. WHAAAAT? you say. Yes, you heard me right. I didn't work out this morning.

I was tired, dragging, felt bloated and lost. And my sister texted me and said just go - you'll feel so much better when you get there. And I had this past 7 months under my belt to be able to say, "You know what? That's not historically been the case. In the past, when I've felt this way, I've gotten there and dragged on the treadmill for 5 or 10 minutes before finally giving up and going home, anyway. I'll go later on." And I could sense the worry coming through the phone, that she worried I wouldn't go, that I'd procrastinate and do something else.

But I know me. And I know that all I needed was the chance to rest a bit and spend some time doing what I wanted to do, not what I felt I should do. And I had a KILLER workout as a result. I pushed it so hard, my heart was beating out of my chest and sweat was flying off me in all directions. I'm so glad I waited.

Sometimes it's better to follow your gut than it is to push through the pain.

1 comment:

April said...

Sometimes are bodies are smarter than our minds :) I love when my body finally tells me it's taken all it can so just chill. I come back with more energy and better workouts!