Monday, October 27, 2008

You know you've had a rough day when...

...Tony gives you an impromptu rest day and a license to eat pizza.

The day started off well, if not a little frustrating, in that life kept happening and I kept being delayed in getting work done (the phone went on the fritz, the heater wasn't working right, etc etc). I only had until about 2 pm to get everything done because today was Amelia's 2nd appointment to have her serial casting adjustments (she was recently diagnosed with tight heel cords as a result of toe walking constantly).

We waited an hour to finally be seen by a nurse who rushed us into a room to take the cast off. Amelia is afraid of loud noises (migraines, supposedly) and so when the nurse turned the machine on, she was already freaked out. Then, she showed the mini circular saw she intended to use to cut the cast off and before either of us knew what was happening, she started in on her leg. At first, Amelia didn't know whether to giggle at the vibration or be startled and I tried to calm her, telling her it was nothing to be afraid of. All of a sudden, she starts to let out a blood curdling scream, saying it hurts, it hurts. The nurse keeps going, and I'm trying to hold Amelia to keep her from moving too much. Well, when all was said and done, it turns out the nurse went too far and actually sawed into Amelia's leg! No serious damage, but definitely breaking the skin. The worst part is that after a week of Amelia being a total trooper about the cast (she even did yoga last week), she now wanted nothing to do with another cast. Too bad, because we're in process. No turning back now.

I finally got her calmed down somewhat, promising her that the nurse would be more careful next time and it wouldn't hurt. We also promised her a glow-in-the-dark cast in honor of Halloween. It didn't help that the doctor didn't show up for another hour and a half - we were waiting nearly two hours before he finally came to put on the new cast, physician's assistant in tow, barely apologetic for what my daughter (and I) had endured. Also barely apologetic when he realized that the casting wasn't doing all he hoped it would and he had to break it to me that it might not, in fact, work and we might be facing surgery.

Now completely flustered and frustrated at what we were having to deal with (so much for the gym), I texted Tony to tell him I'd have to take a rest day, which is when he told me to relax and have pizza. I had promised my daughter an ice cream for her bravery, but when I tried to get off the highway to find a Baskin-Robbins, I accidentally went on the NE Extension of the turnpike, and nearly an hour out of my way. Tears were starting to well up as I realized I wasn't going to get home in time to get the girls in the bath (again), and then it started to rain. When I went to turn on the windshield wipers, the left wiper flipped all the way around and ended up perpendicular to the windshield.


So, when we finally got home, I did have pizza (after giving the girls their bath AND washing their hair, all 3 of them). I was tempted to also have my husband's leftover cheddar and sour cream chips and 3 ice cream sandwiches, but I didn't. In fact, I didn't have anything else after the pizza. It was yummy. The end. I'm still determined to get under 170 and having a full on binge is definitely NOT going to get me there.

Life is happening. What I have to remember is that it's not necessarily happening to me...'s just happening.


Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say! I'm SO sorry you and your sweet little girl had to go through that. I'm losing my mind over here. That nurse would've been knocked the F out for hurting my child. Unbelieveable. Then no real apologies from the doctor??? What has happened to the medical industry?? Then on top of that, the rest of your day? How did you keep it all together? I would've lost it. All you had was pizza? You are one strong woman! Praying that things go WAY better tomorrow. HUGS

Melissa H said...

ARGH. Have you looked into occupational therapy instead? If she toe walks AND has noise sensitivities, I wonder if the doctor has misdiagnosed her and she simply has sensory issues. (perhaps her heel cords are tight *because* of the toe walking, not the other way around)
Just a thought that you might want to pursue before more sawing on her leg (surgery).

You did great with your resolve. Amazing. Hang in there. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Great attitude and I swear, when it rains, it pours doesn't it :) It's been happening to me constantly lately!

Heather said...

Lii, I was going to say the exact thing that melissa h said above. I've told you before that my daughter toe-walks. Well, she also has Sensory Processing Disorder (aka Sensory Integration Dysfunction) and the reason she's toe-walked since she first began walking is her sensory issues.

When you mentioned the noise sensitivity, that's when the bell went off in my head that perhaps this is what is going on with your daughter - sensory processing issues that are in turn causing the toe-walking, which in turn is causing the tight heelcords, just like my kiddo.

We've been doing OT and PT for my DD's sensory stuff and the "side effects" (toe-walking, tightened cords) since she was 3.5. She is now 5.5 and we've thus far avoided any sort of bracing, casting or surgery. Just a thought: maybe get an OT eval done to see if she has sensory issues, and then you can treat all this nonsurgically?

If you would like some reference sources about SPD, give me a shout, I've got loads of them. :)

And regardless of what brought you to the doctor's office, that was an utterly ridiculous way for you and your DD to be treated. My goodness!!

Hang in there!! (((hugs)))