Thursday, July 12, 2012

INSANITY Day 4...Recovery My Ass


I have broken a lot of bad habits in my life. I quit drinking alcohol when I was 24 - 17 years ago.  I quit smoking a couple years after that. I quit serial dating when I met my husband. I quit eating crap a few years ago. More recently, I quit making excuses and started getting really serious about getting in the best shape of my life. 

Because I have broken so many bad habits, I have - historically - dug my heels in about some of the more benign-seeming habits I've adopted over the years. For instance, having a sweet snack before bedtime is something that my parents ingrained in me as a habit; I don't even know when it began. When my sister recently told me she was going to try to stop eating snack before bedtime, I was like, "More power to ya..." and filed that one away in the category of "Things I'm Not Going to Bother Giving Up Because I've Given Up Enough Already and Who's it Hurting, Anyway?" 

A couple nights ago, when I started this crazy INSANITY program - which I do every morning before I even brush my teeth - I suddenly became willing. it no longer felt right to have a big huge snack before bed.  I never thought I would get to that place of willingness, but what do you know - I'm here. Some nights, like tonight, I might have a cup of tea with a little almond milk and a teaspoon of honey. Other nights, like last night, just water. I'm embracing it as a bad habit, broken. I've always wanted to break free of that snack habit, and maybe, just maybe, this is getting me one step closer to this dream body of mine.
What habit are YOU willing to give up to reach your goals?

No comments: