Saturday, July 14, 2012

DAY 6...Out of Steam.

I know, I know. It's too soon to have lost my fire. But honestly, I was just too tired to do it this morning. Last night, I took my kids to the Flick 'N Float at our local pool and I got to bed way too late. When I woke up, I still had my mojo about doing INSANITY, but when I actually had the thing cued up and running, not so much. When I realized my jumping jacks were going to be more of a two-step you might see in a ballroom dance class designed for senior citizens, I realized I should just stop. I told myself I could always do it later, or maybe I would do my 10-mile training run after all.

After a morning spent in the rain at my daughter's swim meet (which she won, I might add), I did, in fact, don my runner's gear and headed over to the running trail. Unfortunately, it started raining quite heavily on the way over and again, my inner child was not having it. She was sulking, pouting and whining, "Do I HAVE TO???" Rather than force it on the poor thing, I called my trainer and explained what was going on. Her explanation was immediate and simple:

"Your body is telling you it needs to rest. You have been pushing hard. Give yourself a break."

So, that's what I did. I still find myself toying with the idea of popping the DVD in and pushing through it, as my inner critic is trying as hard as it can to shame me into breaking my self-enforced rest day. I have a 5K mud run to finish tomorrow, though, so I know better than to go against my trainer's advice. I firmly believe that it's an important part of becoming an athlete to honor your body's need for rest as much as you honor it's ability to push beyond what you thought were the limits.

Tomorrow is a new day full of opportunities to go hard and test my limits. Maybe I'll even have enough energy to make up the missed INSANITY work out after my mud run. And if not? We start fresh on Monday.

Oh, and did I mention that I lost 4 pounds since Monday (Boo ya, baby. Time for that Pandora bracelet!)

Until tomorrow,

Liimu

No comments: