Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Is it a dream or a calling?

The past couple of days, I've been letting myself settle into the idea of giving the music a break. Those of you who know me outside of cyberspace (and some of you who don't) know that for the past year or so I've had somewhat of a resurgence of my music career, which I thought was pretty much dead and buried after I got married and had kids.

Back in 2007, I had the blessed opportunity to participate as a lead soloist on Patti Labelle's choir on the NBC reality show, "Clash of the Choirs." My rendition of Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel" was seen by 10 million viewers around the world, and the YouTube of it has been viewed over 20,000 times! Last year, when business was slow, I started poking around Facebook and got connected with one of Patti's producers, who convinced me that I could still make a go of this. Since last April, I have done a half-dozen showcases, have written over 20 songs (6 of which I've performed to rave reviews) and am almost finished recording my first studio EP.

The thing is, I also own my own business, and it's obviously a major part of the financial equation for my family. So, essentially I now feel like in order to make these two things succeed, I have to go 80 mph in two entirely different directions. So, lately I've been walking around seeing how it feels to settle into the idea of not doing the music as much. Here's where it gets kinda wild. This morning, I sat down to read the three meditation books I read every morning and every single one was about following your dreams and relying on God and His angels as the source of all power, sweeping away the fears and doubts and allowing Him to fan the flames of the deepest heart's desires and passions. Umm...okay...

I don't know about you, but I take that as a sign. I'm just gonna keep doing what's in front of me each day. In a couple weeks, we are doing a fundraiser for a local school. On the 27th, we're doing a concert at a nightclub in Center City that will raise money for Philabundance, the largest organization combating hunger in the tristate area (PA, NJ and DE). I refuse to let fear take the wheel and drive this bus, when I know who really needs to be driving. So, I say again...

"Jesus, take the wheel."

Love to all,

Liimu

No comments: